Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Onward

So today I've done a whole lot of nothing; past few days I've been helping out with whatever needed to be done. I glued some broken furniture back together with some Sader glue (whatever the hell that stuff is, it's powerful). Climb ladders, put in light bulbs, whatever.

Other than that, I should be looking for a place to go on Help Exchange, but I've been postponing it because I haven't felt like I'm ready to go volunteer and work my ass off. For anybody who doesn't know, it's just an organization that helps you find room and board, in exchange you work for a set amount of hours - whatever it is the host requests. Some have photos of their land and detailed info on what their project is; renovating an old building in Ireland to create a coffee shop, renovating a giant French château, cleaning up pig shit. The world is yours! Of course the options aren't always great and it requires money to travel to the places, some which are pretty rural, even if you're already on the continent. There are some sweet deals though, like helping maintain a hostel in exchange for some $ once the backpacking season starts up. Or getting 50 euro a week for groceries.. still haven't figured that one out.

I've found a few places I'd like to go but it would mean taking a plane or a long train and both are expensive right now for some reason. I might be leaving this weekend 'cause I feel I've overstayed my my welcome, helping or not. So that's a short amount of time to pick a location, contact them and wait for a response. Here's hoping I manage it.

No comments:

Post a Comment